Stage 6. Sustain
Goal: To make the community last beyond the initial (project) activities and results.
How can we establish lasting processes and activities? How can we embed the HC activities in the mainstream social/cultural/economic life of the community? How can we establish a lasting meaning and (added) value for the community?
ideas and experiences from our experts!
Heritage Community Development Toolkit
- To relate the heritage community (development) initiative to relevant societal issues, perspectives, and ethics.
- To link a heritage asset to the social and cultural activities going on in the community.
- To help form interdisciplinary teams to support communities in integrating heritage into development plans.
- Establish a real (physical) meeting place.
- Establish good governance practice.
- Decide on and realise tangible outcomes.
- Issue statements of significance.
- Communicate outcomes, impact and benefits.
- To turn Open Days, events, picturing / imaging, storytelling, story trails, place telling features, art projects, heritage walks into recurrent activities embedded in the social & cultural calendar of the community.
- Create tangible symbols & outcomes.
- Organise a real bar & café, meeting place, garden .
- Find project or structural funding to maintain the CH activities.
- Embed the HC goals and outcomes in local policy.
Rederij Lampedusa is a social enterprise that links the migration past of Amsterdam to the current migration issue of refugees trying to reach Europe. The company employs about ten people who have fled their homeland for a new future in the Netherlands. the two ships from Shipping Company Lampedusa - former refugees ships used by people to cross the Mediterranean Sea. Swimming and boat handling lessons, guided tours of the harbour to locals and tourists.
This project is a good example of how the heritage of the port can be closely related to relevant societal issues, perspectives, and ethics.
Syrian and Iraqi refugees are trained as museum guides to lead tours of museums in their native languages; selected museums in Berlin.
Cultural projects on civil right issues - inclusion marginalised people and urban areas: comedy, literature, arts, heritage. Based in Toulouse but with projects elsewhere (Paris)
Tell me a place
placetelling theory and practice
outreach, involvement, empowerment and learning
presentation on how to engage and empower community
Storytelling for heritage
apply storytelling for heritage community development
Competence Development Pathway
PPS focuses on building the capacity of heritage communities as a socio-cultural space for creativity, learning, participation & inclusion. Each stage of heritage community development involves either field, organisational or social competences.
We have developed the “PPS Competences & Knowledge-Skills-Attitudes (KSA) reference systems” that will assist you to develop the relevant competence to this stage.